Consultation on the council’s draft Local Plan Update (Regulation 18) is now open and will run until midnight on 4 March 2024
The consultation is your chance to get involved in shaping the future of the borough, including where new homes and employment will be built and how we protect our environment. It is important that the borough has a strong planning framework in place, shaped by the people who live and work in it, to protect the borough from unsuitable development and create the kind of place we want.
What is the Local Plan and why are we updating it?
The Local Plan is a framework that will guide future development and planning decisions in the borough until 2040. The borough’s existing Local Plan is being updated to ensure it remains fit for purpose, delivers local priorities, meets future needs and reflects current national planning guidance. It includes a strategy setting out what type of development will take place and where, and gives details of proposed sites for new homes and employment space.
Key priorities include:
- supporting the council’s climate change and ecological emergency declarations
- protecting and enhancing the borough’s natural environment, including rivers, and the character of rural villages
- meeting the borough’s housing needs and maximising the delivery of much-needed affordable housing
- creating distinctive, healthy and beautiful communities, supported by the right infrastructure
Where to view the documents
The consultation documents are available to view on the council’s website at: https://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/LPU-have-your-say
Documents can also be viewed at the Civic Offices in London Road, Basingstoke, from 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday.
They are also available at libraries within the borough during their opening hours (Basingstoke Discovery Centre, Chineham Library, Overton Library, Tadley Library and Whitchurch Library).
The following drop-in events will be held during the consultation:
- Thursday 1 February – the Leivesley Room at Sherfield Park Community Centre, Sunwood Drive, Sherfield on Loddon (2pm to 8pm)
- Saturday 3 February – Porchester Square, Festival Place, Basingstoke town centre (10am to 5pm)
- Wednesday 7 February – St Mark’s Church, Homestead Road, Kempshott (2pm to 8pm)
- Monday 5 February – join an online event on the draft plan’s approach to climate change (6pm and 7pm). Sign up will shortly be available on https://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/LPU-have-your-say